Owning a car and supporting it is so expensive now but you have to do it if looking at the crowded public transport makes you want to faint or if you have a family with kids whom you need to fetch to and fro their schools or childcare. A great way to cut down on the monthly costs especially for those who use their car for work, is to choose the right credit card that gives you the best perks for petrol! BQ recommends the Top 5 credit cards for you to choose from, depending on your other needs such as grocery discounts or dining perks!
1. HSBC Platinum Credit Card ♥♥♥♥♥
- Up to 5% cash rebates plus 14% instant discounts at all Caltex and Shell stations
- 5% cash rebate on Recurring Mobile/Cable TV/Internet Bill Payment
- Up to 5% cash rebates on all grocery spend
- Up to 2% cash rebates on dining
- Up to 5% cash rebates plus 14% instant discount at all Caltex and Shell stations
- Kids play, dine and stay for free every day at Resorts World™ Sentosa
- Earn 1 Rewards point with every S$1 charged
- Equipped with Visa payWave
- Choice of sign up gift:
- A Samsonite Black Label Richmond Spinner 75cm Luggage worth S$950 (With minimum S$1,000 spend within a month from card issuance), or
- Up to S$120 worth of Starbucks Cards (With minimum spend of any amount within a month from card issuance)
2. Citibank Dividend Credit Card ♥♥♥♥♥
- Savings up to 20.88% at Esso and 20.8% at Shell, and 8% cash back at all other petrol stations
- 20.88% savings at Esso include 5% Esso site discount, 5% Esso Smiles Card, 4% Citibank Card discount and 8% Citibank DIVIDEND Card.
- 20.8% savings at Shell is calculated based on a 5% Shell site discount, 5% Shell Escape Card discount, 4% Citi Rebate and 8% cash back with Citibank DIVIDEND Card.
- 8% cash back at all grocery stores worldwide
- 8% cash back at all food and beverage outlets globally
- All other retail spend - 0.25% cash back
An illustration by Citibank shows that with a spend of $888 in a month spread across petrol, dining and groceries, you can get back approximately $50 cash back. 8% cash back means 0.25% cash back for all retail purchases, and then up to 7.75% on the petrol, groceries and dining transactions. Note that the earning of 7.75% has a cap of $25 cash back per category (Petrol, Grocery and Dining).
3. OCBC 365 Credit Card ♥♥♥♥
- Up to 18.3% fuel savings at Caltex and Esso and 5% cashback at all other petrol service stations
- Fuel savings of 18.3% at Caltex comprises of (i) 14% upfront discount which includes station onsite discount and OCBC 365 Credit Card discount and (ii) 5% cashback on the nett petrol amount charged to OCBC 365 Credit Card.
- Fuel savings of 18.3% at Esso service stations comprises of (i) 14% upfront discount which includes station onsite discount, petrol station loyalty programme discount and OCBC 365 Credit Card discount and (ii) 5% cashback on the nett petrol amount charged to OCBC 365 Credit Card.
- 3% cashback on supermarkets island-wide
- 6% cashback on weekend dining locally; 3% cashback on weekday dining locally and overseas dining
- 3% cashback on all online spending (travel, fashion, movie tickets etc)
- 3% cashback on recurring telco bills (Singtel, StarHub, M1)
- 0.3% cashback on all other spend
- Spend a minimum of S$600 based on posted transactions in a calendar month. If you spend less than S$600, a flat 0.3% cashback is awarded. Cashback amount is capped at S$80 per calendar month. Calculate how much cashback you can get here!
4. OCBC Plus! Visa Credit Card ♥♥♥
- 18.3% fuel savings + earn Smiles Points at Esso
- 5% Esso Smiles Card Discount
- 5% Esso service station site Discount
- 4% NTUC Plus! / Plus! Visa Credit/Debit Card Discount
- $15 cash rebate with minimum S300 nett fuel purchase per month (worth up to 4.3% savings based on gross fuel purchase price)
- Payment must be charged to Plus! Visa / NTUC Plus! Visa Credit / Debit Card (Visa transactions only). Discount is not applicable for cash / NETS payment.
- Get 5% off everything at FairPrice, FairPrice Online and Unity (in the form of LinkPoint Rebates), cardmembers must spend S$500 on other retailers within the same calendar month to qualify.
- Earn 2% LinkPoints rewards on EZ-Reload (bus / train)
- Earn 1.3% LinkPoints rewards on M1, Starhub, SPH & Town Council bills
- Save up to 50% at participating OCBC merchants
- Enjoy 5% off everything at Unity and 3% at Popular
- Earn 1.3% LinkPoints rewards on electricity, water & gas bills
- Enjoy fast, easy and secure payments with Visa payWave
5. POSB Everyday Card ♥♥
- Get up to 20.1% fuel savings at SPC!
- Promotion is valid till 31 December 2015. 5% discount when charged to any DBS/POSB Credit or Debit Card (with the exception of DBS Esso MasterCard Cards) plus 10% discount with SPC&U Card. Aforementioned discounts only applicable for petrol purchases. POSB Everyday Cardmembers enjoy 6% cash rebate on the final charge amount (after any other applicable discounts).
- 5% cash rebate on local dining
- 3% cash rebate at local supermarkets islandwide. Valid at the online and physical stores of NTUC FairPrice, Giant, Cold Storage, RedMart and Jasons
- To qualify, just spend a minimum of S$500 per calendar month with your POSB Everyday Card!
- Get up to 6% cash rebate on your daily essentials at:
- Sheng Siong
- SP Services
- Use it as an all-in-one card - ATM and EZ-Link Card. Plus, sign-up for EZ-Reload and get a 2% cash rebate!